As we get used to social distancing and staying at home during this challenging time, we’re also seeing many of our neighbors and communities in need and wondering: What can we do to help?
While being generous is certainly more fun when we can come together, there are ways to make a positive difference, even from afar. Here are a few ideas on how to spread joy:
- Check-in with your network: We live in a time when technology allows us to connect with each other virtually, so let’s use it! Call, text or e-mail your friends, family and neighbors. Providing them with support is invaluable when emotions are running high.
- Be a pen pal: Let people know you’re thinking of them. Drop a note to people in care facilities who may not be allowed visitors or send thank you notes to first responders, teachers or healthcare workers.
- Help limit food insecurities: Offer to shop for the vulnerable in your community or be a neighborhood drop point for others to leave pantry items outside your door. Gather supplies, sanitize them and then deliver to your local food shelf.
- Create a plan: Use Facebook or Zoom to organize a virtual meeting with friends and family and brainstorm volunteer ideas. Get creative!
- Share your expertise: Use this time to share your gifts with others on social media. Think about art, budgeting, cooking, yoga or nutrition – these are timeless and relevant topics.
- If you’re a Thrivent member, lead a Thrivent Action Team or direct Thrivent Choice Dollars®: Lead a virtual Thrivent Action Team or donate to one of the 40,000 organizations enrolled in Thrivent Choice. More information can be found here.
Social distancing doesn’t mean we have to stop giving. We can still nurture important relationships, offer care and support to people in need, and make tangible donations to help strengthen our community. Remember to share your stories of generosity with others – it may inspire them to do good where they live!
This article was prepared by Thrivent Financial for use by Financial Consultant, Jeffrey A Hakala. He has office at 2711 W Superior Street in Duluth, MN and can also be reached at 218-625-4010 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thrivent is a diversified financial services organization that helps people achieve financial clarity, enabling lives full of meaning and gratitude. As a mission-driven, membership-owned organization, it offers its more than 2 million members and customers a broad range of financial products, services and guidance. Thrivent and its subsidiary and affiliate companies offer insurance, investments, banking and advice over the phone, online as well as through financial professionals and independent agents nationwide. Thrivent is a FORTUNE 500 company with $152 billion in assets under management/advisement (as of 12/31/19). For more information, visit Thrivent.com. You can also find us on Facebook and Twitter.
THRIVENT IS THE MARKETING NAME FOR THRIVENT FINANCIAL FOR LUTHERANS. Insurance products issued by Thrivent. Not available in all states. Securities and investment advisory services offered through Thrivent Investment Management Inc., a registered investment adviser, member FINRA and SIPC, and a subsidiary of Thrivent. Licensed agent/producer of Thrivent. Registered representative of Thrivent Investment Management, Inc. Advisory services available through investment adviser representatives only. Thrivent.com/disclosures.